Tuesday 9 June 2009

A new beginning

Six weeks with Poached Creative

I wasn’t too sure what to expect, six weeks with Poached Creative, working to improve my creative writing and gain some experience of the working environment. Well… whatever would come out of it, it would sure beat the unproductive days gazing at the “hypnotic box” or endless job applications being sent at the career development course, which I was also attending.

Even before this opportunity I had never even considered ‘writing’ as one my main interests in life. An “F” grade in GCSE English back in 2002, dispelled any interest in writing whatsoever, it was now just a mere task I attempted mostly out of requirements and formalities.

However over the last couple of years, I admit to developing a keen interest on factual based literature and topics. Maybe during this period, I developed an understanding and consciousness for the words and the language it was used in. Something which the academic system attempted to educate me in, but desperately failed.

So what was my reason for being here, at Poached?

Being philosophical, as always... I was weighing up the opportunity that had presented me. What would I get out of it? What should I expect from it? Is it something I want to do?

I came to the conclusion, that... As always – I was thinking too much. For now, I put my mind aside, and decided that I should take on the 6 weeks and take on the opportunity whilst it was there. If any part of me was apprehensive, it was surely down to being unemployed and nervous about going into a job-like scenario.

As it is, I’m still undecided over my future, in terms of my ‘career’. There are too many options out there for me to consider, and my mind is too open to the possibilities… I just don’t know which one I will be best suited too.

The day

Overall the day went well, an introduction, meeting the group, finding out about one another, an afternoon session on communication and my personal review with the director - Jess. Nothing too unexpected.

If anything, I was probably more taken back, by being in such a routine again, and being part of something… a team, colleagues, an organisation and group of people working towards achieving an objective.

Oh! And also being taken back by, waking up at 7:30am, 7:30 just isn’t me… It felt as if I was waking up in a foreign land on a different zone.

I’ve also realised being unemployed for a long time, can knock you back a bit, in terms of your motivation, confidence, and energy... But that’s another story.

Of course, at first I was a bit nervous. I always am, when put into new situations and meeting new people. After hearing everyone’s introduction, I did feel as if I was somewhat ‘out of my league’. Angela, Chris and Jess, in my opinion all had amazing and well established backgrounds. How was I to benefit them in any way?

Those thoughts didn’t last long anyway. I soon realised that being “out of my league” wasn’t even an issue here, and probably just a reaction to the little anxiety I was feeling before.

After speaking to Angela, Chris and Jess all on a one-to-one basis, I realised that they all possessed unique qualities that I admired. They were all very easy going, comforting, and laid back, to name a few. Even so, you could still sense the passion and drive towards what they were doing and trying to achieve… Qualities that I wish to embrace.

An afternoon session on the theory and understanding of communication went smoothly, my personal definition: ‘The interaction between two entities’.

In general it was easy-going, very relaxed, and just a pleasant environment to be in. We discussed the different forms of communication, its purpose, its effectiveness, etc. This certainly ignited some thought-provoking moments on the way home.

Thoughts, thoughts and more thoughts

It’s always impossible for me to write out such thoughts, but it was something along the lines – of how… undervalued communication really is, and whatever we may be doing can be seen as a form of communication.

Even me thinking/writing this blog is my way of communicating with myself, my brains way of communicating ….to think…to type… to express.

Overall… the day grew on me, from feeling nervous and rusty at the beginning, to being able to appreciate and learn about what was around me. As always I try to use each little lesson as a guidance to further better myself and familiarise myself with the ‘crazy’ world I am in. I feel with my first day and the next five weeks at Poached, I will continue to do this.

Even given the opportunity to write this blog (my very first), is an experience that I feel will be beneficial to me. Not just for career purposes...but also, in helping to understand more about myself and how I communicate.

I look forward to next week’s session and seeing what else I am able to learn and pick up on… and for that, I am thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment